Set Your Mindset and The Stage Perfectly to Get a College Scholarships
There is no magical formula in which you can get exactly what you want when it comes to college scholarships. However, there may not be any proven system for this, you will still have to be prepared and knowledgeable about the types of scholarships, the process to apply, whom to get in touch and much more.
The process includes:
- Conducting thorough research
- Best answers for application essays
- Adopt the application mindset
- Find the most suitable scholarship and lastly
- Apply to ALL available scholarships.
Simply hoping that you will get a scholarship once you apply for it will be the most unwise thing to do. Instead of hoping you should focus on reframing it and hope to get a LOT of scholarships.
Having such an outlook of profusion will however mean a few things:
- Instead of a full ride, apply for as many scholarships as possible to increase your winning chances. Ideally a $500 here and another $1,000 there will finally add up to $1500.
- Do feel let down or disheartened if you do not get the one you applied for. Remember, scholarships are just a numbers game and most of it has a handful of applicants.
- Use all available resources at your disposal making sure that it is relevant. It is only when you cast a wide netyou increase your chances of getting more.
If you are in the high school, you will find that there are a lot of such resources available to you. These resources can be categorized into five different areas such as:
- High school career centers
- Scholarship search sites
- Library and bookstore
- Friends and family and
- Ethnic organizations.
With these available resources you can earn thousands of dollars in scholarship. This is how:
First, you should go to your high school career center and if your school does not have any you can always visit your school’s counselor who can help you in this respect. Usually, most high schools have such career centers and they keep an updated list of such scholarships sorted by date. If you go through this list you will find a number of scholarships that are suitable for you. Take a note of all these along with the information for each so that you can get enough help in your application process. Prepare an Excel spreadsheet while recording and make specific heads such as:
- Scholarship name
- The worth
- Due date and
- Appliedyes or no.
Of course, you can add a few other fields as well to be more detailed with your spreadsheet and add things such as GPA requirements, need of an essay and others. Make sure that you include other high schools names as well in your list.
Start with the legwork
Once you are done with your prep work with the list of scholarships, it is time for legwork. Call the offices of thedifferent high schools. Ask them whether or not you can visit them in person and talk to them regarding the scholarships that you want to apply.
Much depends on the initiative that you show in making your educational future bright. The schools are usually more than happy to help out students who want to study in their schools. Record everything that you have found in your Excel spreadsheet against each scholarship.
Once you are done with it, head for the library or bookstores straightaway and pick up the newest copy of the annual PFAScholarships book.These are the books that come with a comprehensive catalog of different grants and scholarships offered to high school student to pursue their higher education. Though you will get these in the Amazon links but you are highly recommended to grab a hard copy from the local bookstore.
Once you get the book, start taking notes of all the scholarships that you may like to apply for. Start applying ASAP in the scholarship search sites. Look for the specific criteria when you apply. These criteria include:
- Schoolspecific scholarships
- Different requirements and
- Amount of money earned.
You can also look out for scholarships in different search website and search engines but make sure that you set up email alerts so that you can get notified instantly and automatically when these sites find any scholarships that suit your specific needs.
If you are looking for scholarships in ethnic organizations if you belong to a certain race or background look out in specific sites such as:
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- The Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- The United Negro College Fund
- Irish ancestry scholarships and
- German ancestry scholarships
Now, whether you look for scholarships here or ask your friends and family for any scholarships, you will have to apply for these most professionally.
Applying for scholarships
Applying for scholarships seems to be an extremely daunting task to most of the students. However, if you follow the strategic steps then this arduous task will become simple enough for you. You will generally require doing two things for this:
- First, you will need to send a letter of recommendation by writing an essay or a few short ones. Each application will take quite a lot of time and also a bit of nuance. The best way to make the reader clamorto give you the scholarship money is by taking cue from the letters of essays and recommendations.
- Secondly, you must get letters of recommendations from your teacher or any trusted adult without being afraid just like most of the high school students. If you are a good student and have a good relation with your teachers this will not be much of a problem for you.
Even if you are not the best student in your school and may carry a name for your mischiefs, if you are polite and have the majority of the work done already, it will not be hard for you too to get a glowing recommendation. Remember, the teachers will look for your keenness to be established in your life and not what you did before as a child.
Lastly, write an application essay that is unique and stands out. That’s it.