Key Signs You May Need Your Electrical Wiring Changed in Your Home

Do you know what allows you to watch television, use your computer, your blender, or heat food up in the microwave? The electrical wiring in your home provides power to the majority of your home appliances. Don’t take your electrical system for granted.

Not considering your electrical wiring can be very detrimental when it needs to be changed. Your wiring system may generally last for years, but you must still look out for signs that indicate you need to change it before it’s too late.

Four Key Signs You Need to Change Your Home’s Electrical Wiring

If you don’t pay attention to your electrical wiring and its warning signs, it can be really dangerous. Take note that faulty wiring can lead to electrocution or electrical fire. Don’t wait for unfortunate events to happen. Have knowledge of what you must know when the time comes for replacement. It is for the safety of your home, and the comfort of you and your family.

The following are four key signs you may need to change the electrical wiring in your home.

1. Damaged outlets

Outlets degrade as they age, and it’s important to replace it when it impacts the wiring’s ability to perform. Here are some things to watch for in relation to worn-down outlets.

Worn outlet: A worn outlet means cords are unable to fit securely to the receptacle. If cords hang out of the outlet or slip out, then there are chances of excess voltage or that current may not flow properly.
Broken plate covers: This condition exposes the electrical outlet mechanism. When any human or pet comes in close contact with this, the risk of electrocution is high.
Hot outlets: It is normal for a switch plate to be quite warm when touched. However, if it becomes alarmingly hot, plug off everything and try plugging it into another outlet. If all outlets are hotter than usual even when nothing is plugged in, then call a reliable electrician immediately.

2. Flickering or dimming lights

Light fixtures usually exhibit minimal power. However, when lights flicker persistently, then it indicates fixture problems.

It is probable that the issue comes from any major appliances that have been wired to similar circuits. Appliances that cool or heat usually draw a lot of power. Thus, flickering or dimming may be caused by an appliance that draws current to heat water. Call an electrician concerning flickering lights on various circuits or consider updating or upgrading your electrical wiring to be safer.

3. Frayed wires

The electrical wires in your home may fray as they age, or due to corrosion, heat, or damage. Screws or nails also destroy wires by piercing or pinching them. In some cases, mice or rats love to chew on electrical wires.

If there is any rodent activity in your home, it would be wise to check the wiring to ensure that there are no obvious signs of damage. In the event that your wires are damaged for whatever reason, this poses a significant threat to your home and your safety. Have your wires examined and replaced by a reliable professional electrician.

4. Smoke

This is a definite warning sign concerning your home’s electrical wiring. In the event that smoke is coming out from an appliance, along baseboards, or any appliances, call a professional immediately.

Avoid touching any wires, switch off all appliances and check your home for obvious, serious problems. Also, switch off your main circuit breaker until the electrician arrives.

Call a Professional Electrician

If any of those key signs appear, call a professional and have the electrical wiring changed in your home. Don’t neglect those warning signs. Get them fixed or changed in time. For more information, call st louis electrical contractors.

Joe Simpson

Joe Simpson is a writer contributing for St. Louis Electrical Contractor | Electrical Contractors STL. As a writer, Joe understands the need to make sure his pieces are both informative and entertaining, and as such strives to add a creative and unique flair to his articles. He likes to do yoga and cook during his free time.